Page 652 PSALM 40 vss 1-14 .
1. I waited patiently for the Lord :
and he inclined to me and heard my cry.
2. He brought me up from the pit of roaring waters,
out of the mire and clay :
and set my feet upon a rock, and made firm my foothold.
3. And he has put a new song in my mouth :
even a song of thanksgiving to our God.
4. Many shall see it and fear :
and shall put their trust in the Lord.
5. Blessed is the man who has made the Lord his hope :
who has not turned to the proud,
or to those who wander in deceit.
6. O Lord my God,
great are the wonderful things which you
have done, and your thoughts which are towards us :
there is none to be compared with you;
7. Were I to declare them and speak of them :
they are more than I am able to express.
8. Sacrifice and offering you do not desire :
but my ears you have marked for obedience;
9. Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required :
then said I, Lo, I come.
10. In the scroll of the book it is written of me,
that I should do your will :
O my God, I long to do it, * your law delights my heart.
11. I have declared your righteousness in the great congregation :
I have not restrained my lips, O Lord, and that you know.
12. I have not hidden your righteousness in my heart :
I have spoken of your faithfulness and of your salvation.
13. I have not kept back your loving-kindness and your truth :
from the great congregation.
14. O Lord, do not withhold your mercy from me :
let your loving-kindness and your truth ever preserve me.
Glory to the Father.....